Thursday, October 10, 2013

Will I ever stop?

Yesterday I started a scarf for my husband (Glenn).  Shhhhh, it's a secret.  It calls for 32 cast on stitches.  I thought it was too narrow.  So I played around with different sizes.  I think I went as high as 48 stitches but that was too much.  I ended up with 44 stitches.  I didn't like what was happening with it, so I undid everything.  I think I didn't count the rows right.  You'd think I'd remember since it was only yesterday.

Today I tore out what I did because my needles were too short.  I was using size 6 9" needles.  So I switched to my 10" needles (same size).  I believe I knitted 8 rows.  What I did notice is that with 44 stitches per row, if you begin with k4, you end with k4.  So when starting a new row you are twisting the thread when it naturally wants to do the opposite.  Don't know if that makes sense.  When I finish a row with the knit stitch, the yarn 'naturally' wants to do purl stitches on the new row.  But with the number of stitches per row, it has to begin with a knit.  Same can be said for the purl.  What you want is to end with purl and then start the next row with knit.  But I continued.

I noticed that with 44 stitches, the scarf looked a bit too wide.  I have stitched enough rows now so that I could see the pattern forming.  I blocked off 12 stitches to see what the scarf would look like with only 32 stitches (which is what the pattern originally called for).  It looked ok.  It doesn't need to be too thick as it's a man's scarf and they're not into the big huge scarfs.  So, guess what I did?  I ripped it out again.

Since I don't want my husband to know I'm making this scarf, I hide it before he comes home from work.  Hidden in one of my stitching baskets is a a knitting needle with 32 stitches cast on.  I'm back to square one for the 3rd time.  I have no pictures because I have nothing to show.  I'm hoping tomorrow I will NOT redo anything.

1 comment:

  1. Ahhh...yes. The Designer in you is already starting to surface.
    Hilarious.

    ReplyDelete